From the Front Desk

From the Front Desk

Here at Village Hall, we get phone calls asking all kinds of questions. Here is a good list to keep handy. If you have ideas for future FAQ questions, email

  1. Can you tell me about my water bill?

When water bills go out (every three months around the 18th), we often get calls regarding usage. The best way to track your usage is by signing up for Eye-On-Water. This application allows you to see your daily water usage. Monitoring your water, prevents small leaks and spikes from surprising you.

Did you know that you can sign up for?

Utility Billing Payment Service for Credit card payments

Utility Billing for ACH (Check) payment


  1. Do you know where I can recycle electronics?

SWALCO Highland Park facility you can drop off your electronics on Tuesday’s and the first Saturday of the month from 7am-1pm, 1180 Half Day Road. Contact or 847-336-9340 for more information

  1. Can I Open Burn on my property?

Yes, written notification is required for open burning on private property. All open burning shall be located at least 25 feet from all adjoining property lines. A competent person age 21 or older must be present at all times during the burning of the fire. All open burning is allowed after dawn and extinguished by dusk on any day. Please email or call Village Hall at 847-945-6080.

Open burning of leaves or grass clippings and smoldering fire or open fire that emits dense or excessive smoke is prohibited.

  1. Can I take down a dead/diseased tree?

If you have a dead/diseased tree you would like to remove, fill out a tree removal permit. Ensure the number, type and location of trees is noted or provide a simple drawing of the property. Make sure all trees scheduled for review are marked with ribbon or paint for easy identification. The Village Forester will come to your property and review the trees to determine if they can be taken down. Once we receive the foresters review, we will issue a tree removal permit. Each address can obtain two tree removal permits are no charge in one calendar year.

  1. Can I attend a Board meeting?

Yes, Board meetings for the Village Board, Architecture Review Commission (ARC) and the Planning Zoning Board of Appeals (PCZBA) meetings are open to the public. The agenda for the meetings are posted on the website and at Village Hall at least 48 hours in advance. There is a calendar on the website so you can see when meetings are scheduled.

  1. How do I contact the police department if Village Hall is closed?

The police can be reached 24/7 at the non-emergency number 847-945-8490. If no one is in the station, dispatch will answer the call. If you come to Village after business hours, there is a call button to the left of the Village Hall door which will also connect to dispatch. If you are ever concerned about a safety situation, please call 9-1-1. Don’t hesitate!

  1. What should I do when there is a power outage?

When the power goes out, it is best to call ComEd to report and outage. You can call 1-800-edison1 or to their website at You are able to sign up for text alerts and see an outage map.


Thank you!